MEDICAL GRADE SKIN CARE IN BROCKVILLE, ONTARIO
Medical Grade Skin Care
What is medical grade skin care?
The vast array of skin care products available and claims made regarding the possible results can be overwhelming. Medical skin care is different from over the counter products in that it contains higher concentrations of active ingredients, has scientifically been tested and is available only through a skin care specialist. Individualized skin care regimes ensure progressive and visible results and can enhance results when combined with other skin procedures.
Medical skin care is “your treatment between treatments”
All of Dr. Steyn’s medical grade topical skin care regimes consist of three essential steps:
- CLEANSE with a properly formulated cleanser with a pH of 4.5-6
- TREAT with a suggested combination of the following depending on your skin type or issue:
- Growth factor and retinoids for photoaged skin
- A moisturizer to hydrate for all skin types
- Tyrosinase inhibitors for pigmented skin
- Anti-inflammatories for red skin
- Exfolients and anti-bacterials for acneic skin
- PROTECT with
- An antioxidant and
- UVA UVB broad-spectrum sunscreeen
Are the results immediate?
Physician formulated skin care products are very effective as a home-based therapy. Results are progressive with visible results within a few months when used continuously. It takes at least one “skin cycle” of epidermal renewal to see visible skin changes. In young healthy skin it takes approximately 28 days for cells to migrate from the deeper basal layer of the skin to migrate to the surface and desquamate. Older skin will take longer to regenerate.
The Benefits of Medical Grade Skin Care
What are the benefits of medical grade skin care?
- It contains higher concentrations of active ingredients compared to over the counter products
- Scientific testing with results published in medical journals sets it apart from many of the over the counter products
- Skin care prescriptions are individualized according to the characteristics of your skin.
- The products are chosen to be compatible with other skin treatments.
- It prepares the skin for procedures such as microdermabrasion, DermaFrac and skin peels.
- Maintaining ask in care regimen home enhances and prolongs the results obtained from other skin procedures.
- Brown spot, rosacea, redness and hyperpigmentation can be targeted with specific products.
How does Medical Grade Skin Care work?
A personalized treatment plan tailored to the specific needs of your skin ensures that you will love your skin again.
Recommended medical grade topical skin care regimens for photoaged skin (premature aging of the skin due to the chronic exposure to UV light) can consist of several treatment steps including one or more of the following:
- FACIAL CLEANSER: The first step in preparing the skin for treatment involves effectively removing dirt, make-up, excess oil and environmental pollutants. The perfect cleanser should have a pH close to the skin’s pH of 4.5-6 to avoid drying out the skin and stripping it from its natural lipids. Hexamidine, a unique antibacterial found in some of the Vivier skin products, has powerful anti-redness and bacteria fighting properties, while the addition of salisylic acid is useful in thetreatment of oily, acne prone skin.
- GROWTH FACTORS: Fibroblast growth factor products contain several substances involved in stimulating collagen production and accelerating epidermal regeneration. A growth factor product is considered to be one of the cornerstones when treating photoaged skin. TNS Recovery Complex by SkinMedica has been shown in studies to reduce wrinkles and hyperpigmentation and increase hydration of photoaged skin with prolonged use.The SkinMedica product line,has been founded by Dr. Fitzpatrick M.D., and includes innovative scientifically proven essentials ingredients such as TNS® (SkinMedica’s patented blend of growth factors.)
- RETINOIDS: This active ingredient is responsible for healthy epidermal cell turnover and promotion of proper skin function and rejuvenation. It treats signs of photoaging, acne, clogged pores, roughness, fine lines and hyperpigmentation to reveal healthier, smoother and brighter skin. Retinol is the most commonly used form of Vitamin A in cosmeceutical products, and is seldom associated with the redness, sensitivity and irritation often seen with the use of prescription strength retinoids.
- MOISTURIZERS: The function of a moisturizer is to hydrate the skin and temporarily improves the appearance of fine lines. It acts as an epidermal barrier by reducing evaporation of water from the skin. The hydration status of the skin determines the formulation used. A serum or a gel will be preferred for a more oily skin and a lotion or cream for older photoaged skin.
- ANTIOXIDANTS: UV radiation is responsible for the formation of free radicals and reactive oxygen species responsible for harmful oxidative effects on the skin. Topical antioxidant skin care products such as vitamin C and E can play a role in a medical grade skin care regime in reducing the radiation induced skin damage and reducing the signs of environmental damage.
- SUNSCREEN: Sun exposure is known as one of the most potent factors in aging the skin. UVA rays are mainly responsible for aging the skin, while UVB burns the skin. Both are responsible for the significant increase in the incidence of skin cancer. A broad-spectrum sunscreen protects against both UVA and UVB radiation and is essential in preventing photoaging and pigmentation of the skin.
Other specialized topical treatment regimes individualized for specific skin care concerns include those for photo-aged skin, rosacea with facial erythema, acne prone skin and hyperpigmented blemished skin.
What are the risks when using medical grade skin care?
To receive an individualized skin prescription for a medical grade skin care program, please make an appointment with Dr. Steyn. During your consultation you will receive information on safety and risks, as well as instructions on how to use your skin care regime correctly to minimize side-effects and maximize results. The higher concentration of active ingredients in medical grade skin care products can increase your risk of a reaction if not used correctly, just like when you use any other medication.
Do you want to learn more about Dr. Steyn’s Medical Skin Care Program? I will provide you with a comprehensive individualized plan for subtle, progressive and age appropriate rejuvenation, ensuring a natural appearance.To request your personal consultation call 613-342-0220.