SEEING SPOTS? HERE’S YOUR GUIDE TO UNDERSTANDING AND TREATING HYPER PIGMENTATION…
The last days of summer are over, and now it’s time to assess the damage from the past season. This month, we address hyperpigmentation — how it presents, root causes, and treatments.
Hyperpigmentation marks a darkened area of skin due to the overproduction of melanin. It occurs in two ways. (1) An abnormally high concentration of melanocytes produces melanin, or (2) Melanocytes are hyperactive.
WHAT CAUSES IT? WILL I BE AFFECTED?
Hyperpigmentation can affect anyone, although it’s more prevalent in certain ethnicities. Being pregnant or taking certain medications, including birth control pills, can also cause hyperpigmentation. Various stimuli includes:
- Hormonal changes
- Medications – antibiotics, hormone treatments, anti-seizure drugs
- Inflammation and skin injuries, like acne vulgaris
- Sun exposure
- Picking at the skin
WHERE DOES IT OCCUR?
It can affect any part of the body, but especially in areas exposed frequently to the sun, like the face, hands and neck. Some other examples are:
- Ephiledes, commonly referred to as freckles, are often hereditary.
- Solar Lentigenes are also known as sun spots, age spots, and liver spots. Solar lentigenes are freckles caused by sun exposure.
- Melasma presents in adults as brown patches on facial areas, usually on the cheeks, bridge of the nose, forehead, or upper lip.
- Chloasma is often called the “pregnancy mask”. Pregnancy induced melasma is caused by hormonal changes that occur with pregnancy that can lead to an overproduction of melanin. Facial areas, with the exception of the eye area, are marked by splotches of pigmentation. This can also occur in the abdomen area.
HOW CAN I CURE HYPERPIGMENTATION?
While there is no “cure” for hyperpigmentation, you can lighten and minimize the appearance of it with a customized skin care regimen.
First, use a sunscreen or moisturizer with at least SPF 15. Second, look for key ingredients in skincare products that can help minimize hyperpigmentation, like alphahydroxy acids (AHAs) and Vitamin C.
Check out our October promotion below for an excellent package deal, specifically geared toward treating hyperpigmentation.
Please feel free to contact us for a consultation; we’re always happy to help assess your skin needs and formulate an effective treatment plan!
October Exclusive: SkinTx Restore Package
Our SkinTX RESTORE combines two Jessner Peels with the SkinTX Skin Treatment System™. This physician-prescribed daily skin care system works on a cellular level, rescuing troubled skin, promoting renewal and ultimately restoring a radiant, natural glow.
The Jessner Peel helps you achieve a more beautiful complexion. It offers a relatively fast and simple treatment to target acne, acne scarring, hyper pigmentation, and wrinkles. It’s the perfect treat to start fresh for fall!
Get your second Jessner Peel FREE when you purchase the RESTORE package!*